Warwick Floorball goes to Manchester

March 3, 2014

Club holds first ever weekend mini tour

Warwick Floorball Club ran its inaugural mini tour at the weekend, as an eighteen-strong group of us headed up to Manchester.Manchester cathedral

On the agenda was a friendly match against Manchester Salibandits, a visit to the city’s main sights, and, erm, a couple of drinks on the side – with some of us perhaps placing more importance on the latter than anything else.

Leaving campus on the evening of Friday 28 February, we made a brief stop at a service station en route for dinner, before arriving shortly after 10pm.

Saturday saw us take in a walking tour, with varying degrees of enjoyment: Rob and Tanay left within minutes, while a somewhat masochistic Phil seemed determined to stick with the tour group for as long as possible.

We then split off into groups for a football-themed afternoon, as some went on a stadium tour of Old Trafford and others headed to the National Football Museum, before we all re-united for dinner at an excellent Greek restaurant picked out by Chandru. Finally, we headed off to Fifth Avenue nightclub for a very enjoyable night out.

On Sunday, there was no time to nurse any hangovers: there was the fixture against the Salibandits to contend with, having extended the match to four periods of 20 minutes to allow everyone more playing time.

With a mixed bag of 1s, 2s and 3s who had never played together before, along with a number of goalkeepers playing outfield, we weren’t entirely sure what to expect against a side competing for the Midlands 2nd Division title, and it proved to be something of a strange game.

Despite dominating the first two periods, we struggled to score past Manchester’s goalkeeper, Warwick alum Steph. We fell behind twice, but two long shots from Mark saw us level at 2-2 at the halfway stage.

Sadly, we came to rue our profligacy in front of goal in the third and fourth periods, only adding to our own tally once more and conceding five, to leave the final score at 7-3.

The one major highlight after the halfway point was Inger’s obvious delight at scoring our third goal (incidentally the last goal of the match), rounding off a day in which our defenders were relied upon to provide the goals.

It was a fitting end to the trip, as we gathered in the minibus to head back to Warwick.

We hope everyone enjoyed their weekend in Manchester, and we would like to thank Manchester Salibandits for organising the game. Here’s hoping our 2s can get some revenge when we meet again this Sunday!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *